Spring Hill’s New (Old) Benches
The signature bench for the Village of Spring Hill might be familiar to some Mobilians, as it has been used in the City since 1866 when 58 cast iron benches were installed in Bienville Square. A little research tracked down the one existing pattern which was shipped to Robinson Foundry in Alexander City, Alabama, for production of an initial 10 benches for Spring Hill.
The old Mobile benches were funded as part of a state grant from the Alabama Department of Economic and Community Affairs (ADECA) for the implementation of the Village streetscapes.
The benches were purchased for placement on City right-of-way on the new wide sidewalks in front of Holiday Place, AT&T, Regions Bank, and the Monte L. Moorer Public Library.